What My Dad Taught me About Marriage
Feb. 23, 2015 The Generous Husband
I know my mom and dad had struggles in their marriage. Nothing compared to many, but it was not as happy as I wish it had been. We didn’t see much of that as kids, but looking back with what I know now, and what I found in some of his journals after he was gone, I have some idea. I know they had different ideas about raising kids, about where to retire, and about sex. I mention this because it makes what my dad taught me about marriage all the more impressive.
- My dad taught me marriage is for life.
- He taught me, by words and actions, to keep working on your marriage. Never give up; never settle.
- He taught me sex was an important, wonderful part of marriage.
- I was expected to respect my mother even when I didn’t agree with her.
- I learned men and women are not the same, and men are supposed to honour and protect women.
- He showed me caring for your wife and kids was more important than getting what you want.