The holidays are a wonderful time of the year. Family, friends, food, fun, and faith are some of the common threads that bring people together and encourage celebration.
However, for many people, this time of the year brings feelings of stress, anxiety, and other emotional challenges. As beautiful as these times are, often, things get in the way that cause one to wish the holidays would end quickly.
If you find yourself not enjoying this time as much as you would like, here are 12 things to remember:
1. Love and giving are not just for the holidays, but for every day of the year. Practice sharing and loving each day and when the holidays come around, it will be a part of your nature.
2. Be intentional about enjoying the holidays. By making a choice to be happy and enjoy, you will actually find yourself in that sweet spot of positivity and cheer.
3. Be in the moment. It’s not enough just to feel good, but be aware of this feeling and savor any moments of well-being that you encounter.
4. Be grateful and show it. Life tends to stop at many points and in different places, and it’s up to us to be appreciative of each experience. Thankfulness always connects us to something greater.
5. Kindness is a gift we wrap by our spirits. Nothing can stop us from being kind and expressing kindness even to difficult people. Kindness is a wonderful gift that we can keep giving beyond the holidays.
6. Leave your smartphone behind. We are the most connected generation ever. Research shows that Americans check their phones over 8 billion times a day. During this time, don’t take your smartphone out or check it. Take time to talk to and laugh with people face-to-face.