If parenthood is a roller coaster, going at it alone can make for one hell of a ride. To find out what it’s really like being a single dad, we’ve asked our wonderful community of parents to share their unique experiences.
Here are 24 of their responses, revealing the hardships and rewards single fathers face.
1. “It’s hard work and a real challenge [involving] anxiety and stress. A real respect to single mothers out there in the world.”
2. “If I didn’t spend a few years as a single dad, my son and I probably wouldn’t be as close as we are now.”
3. “[I] can make the bacon, fry it up, braid some hair and catch the football game. All at the same time. I’m superman because I have to be. And it’s the highest honor of my life. I’m proud to be a single dad.”
4. “I am always asked what was wrong with their mother.”
5. “It’s tiring, humbling and inspiring. There’s nothing else I’d rather do more.”
6. “It’s difficult at times … Traveling recently with my 3-year-old daughter, we had a layover and I had to use the restroom. I was aware of the stigma of bringing her into the men’s room but managed to get by.”
7. “The main stressors being financial and not being able to give as much individual time to each as I would like. I find it funny how many people are shocked that a man takes care of four children. I wouldn’t change it for anything.”
8. “It made me into a better father. It made me more responsible.“