20 Ways to Get Happy (Almost) Instantly!
Mar. 9, 2015 Yahoo! Health
- Play a game (not on your phone): Get your family together, invite some friends over, and have a game night. Not only will you be surrounded by good company, but friendly competition usually guarantees a good time and a good laugh.
- Smile: When in doubt, smile! Not only is it contagious, but smiling also helps relieve stress, boost your mood, and release endorphins.
- Go for a walk: If something isn’t going well at work or home, step outside and take a walk. It doesn’t have to be long, but a quick stroll will help you get fresh air and clear your mind.
- Call a friend: Don’t text; dial! Calling a close friend is a great way to talk over your worries and get advice from someone you trust.
- Try something new: Stop your rut by switching things up. Try a new gym class or restaurant, or take a new route to work in the morning.
- Unplug: Calm your mind by turning off your tech and escaping social media for a minute or two.
- Sing (out loud!): We give you permission to sing in the shower, car, anywhere. We promise you’ll feel better — with or without a record deal.
- Volunteer: Nothing beats the feeling of helping others. Make a difference and meet a few friends in the process by checking out VolunteerMatch.
- Make a gratitude list: It’s often easy to focus on the negative or those things you don’t have. Quickly boost your mood by jotting down the things you are grateful for, both big and small.
- Eat up: Start cooking those fava beans; they make you happy! Since this bean contains high concentrations of an amino acid known as L-dopa (dopamine), it will boost your mood and decrease depression.
Click below for 10 more ways to get happy.